To enter the walls of this noble building in the historic centre of the Royal City of Gáldar is to become a witness to the last five centuries of the city's history and evolution.
During the conversion works, the archaeological remains of the primitive church of Santiago de los Caballeros have been found in the basement of the Hotel Emblemático Agáldar. According to the chronicles, it was built over the Palace of the Guanartemes, former Kings of Agáldar, one of the two guanartematos into which the island of Gran Canaria (formerly Tamarán) was divided before the Castilian conquest.
Once the construction of the current Jacobean temple was completed (1776-1826), the original church was demolished and in its place the building of the current Hotel Agáldar was erected, which was completed in 1850 by the Marquises of Villanueva del Prado and which today conserves its original floor plan as one of the best examples of 19th century domestic architecture, responding to the Romantic type of elevation.
Already in 1896 it operated for a few years as a branch of the Hotel Santa Catalina in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, after it was acquired by the English company Gran Canary Island Co. Ltd.
In the 1960s, the building was acquired by the Town Council of Gáldar and since then it has been used for different purposes: from an educational centre, housing the Jesús Sacramentado School until the beginning of the 2000s, to rehearsal rooms for groups of the municipality.
In 2017, the Town Council of Gáldar began its restoration to transform it into the first hotel in the city, with the aim of responding to the great demand of visitors and to complement the great offer of leisure, active and cultural tourism offered by the municipality.
On the 11th of July 2019, being the mayor Don Teodoro Claret Sosa Monzón and the president of the Cabildo Don Antonio Morales Méndez.
Plaza de Santiago, 14, 35460 Gáldar
Las Palmas - Spain
T: +34 928 89 74 33